Excavation Project Steps
Excavation is the process of removing earth, rock, or other materials to form a cavity in the ground. But it is a lot more than simply “digging in the dirt.” Excavation is a sophisticated aspect of construction that is used at the beginning of almost every structure including the construction of homes, the building of swimming pools, foundations, and much more. It is a process that requires an expert Bay Area basement excavation company.
Types of Excavation Used in Construction
A qualified Sacramento soil drilling company knows how to deal with various types of excavation including cut and fill excavation, trench excavation, basement excavation, and dredging excavation. Each type requires knowledgeable and skilled professionals, careful planning, proper site preparation, and professional equipment.
Steps to a Successful Excavation Project
A successful excavation project results in having the construction preparation done so that the completed structure is built to specifications and is sound and enduring. The job should be done safely and on-time as well. These steps are followed by a professional Sacramento foundation drilling company:
- Marking the dig site. This will involve staking the boundaries of the dig site to keep the digging in the right places and to facilitate straight cuts as well as indicating where obstacles such as trees will need to be removed.
- Obtain excavation approval from the utility companies. They will mark buried utility lines to prevent utility damage in the excavation area.
- Good site management. Planning at the beginning of the project will include anticipating the creation of entrances, access to roads for the equipment, and places for the fill piles.
- Site clearing. If there are trees, tree roots or vegetation that will need to be removed, that clearing will be done during the site clearing phase and debris will be hauled off.
- The digging will be performed to the proper depth and width and the dirt removed will need to be moved elsewhere. Heavy equipment will be used at this point.
- Rough grading. Some of the dirt removed in the excavation process will need to be backfilled around the construction site to ensure the right soil elevation for proper drainage.
- Manage erosion on the excavation site. Proper site management involves building a silt fence so that soil does not wash away on the site during the construction process.
- Good communication. A professional Bay Area basement excavation contractor will ensure good communication with all parties in the construction process to avoid problems.
Mistakes to Avoid When Selecting an Excavation Contractor
- Hiring a contractor with little experience.
- Not checking references.
- Being attracted by price only.
- Waiting too long to secure a contractor.
- Failing to check for adequate insurance.
- Not getting a written contract.
Choose an Expert Bay Area Excavation Company
Contact Lassiter Excavating, your Bay Area drilling experts for foundation and retaining wall construction, pool removal, excavation, trenching, and pier drilling since 1989. We provide exceptional service for both residential and commercial customers.