Foundation Repair Using Helical Piers
Every structure needs a strong and stable foundation to endure without problems. However, homes and other structures are built on soil and soil can sometimes shift and settle, resulting in structural damage. An excellent solution that is growing in popular use is helical piles. An experienced Sacramento pier drilling company is qualified to do the work when there are signs of damage calling for significant foundation repair work.
What are the Signs of Foundation Damage?
Telltale signs of foundation damage include:
- Cracking on interior plaster walls.
- Uneven flooring.
- Doors and/or window frames that are difficult to close or that leave gaps when closed.
- A significant number of nail pops in walls or ceilings.
- Cracks in the walls and especially in basement walls.
What is a Helical Pier?
A helical pier is simply a foundation pin. It has a shaft made of steel with screw plates or blades that are shaped like a helix. The helical pier is driven into the soil to depths below the frost line by a hydraulic system, much like a screw that is driven into wood. This is not a DIY project. Rather, a Sacramento pier drilling company is experienced with this process.
When are Helical Piers Used?
Helical piers are used to support structures when the soil conditions are especially challenging and when traditional foundation systems are less reliable. Instead of requiring large excavations, they are threaded deep into the ground. They are also used to repair existing foundations that have problems. They require minimal time for digging a foundation, cause little disturbance to the area around a foundation, and are effective in transferring the weight of a structure deep into the soil.
Helical piers can be installed by an expert Sacramento foundation drilling company in the following conditions:
- Positioned at angles up to 45 degrees.
- Protruding from the ground or buried.
- Placed in any soil type.
- Set at grade, on embankments, and in cuttings.
- Installed in low temperatures (unlike concrete foundation work.)
Where are Helical Piers Used?
Helical piles are used in a wide variety of circumstances including many types of foundation work for homes, offices, commercial, and industrial buildings, in the energy industry, including anchoring and stabilizing telephone poles and electric pylons and installing boardwalks.
The Advantages and Benefits of Helical Piles
Helical piles offer many advantages including:
- Suitability for fragile or delicate areas.
- Eco-friendly and low impact.
- Minimal risk of weather delays.
- Rapid installation and with no cure time.
- Can be removed easily if necessary.
- Capable of transferring weight immediately upon installation.
- With no vibration, helical piers can be installed close to existing structures.
An experienced Sacramento soil drilling company will be able to diagnose soil conditions and install reliable helical piles.
Chose an Experienced Sacramento Pier Drilling Company
Contact Lassiter Excavating, your Sacramento and Bay Area experts for pool removal, excavation, trenching, foundation, and pier drilling since 1989. We provide exceptional service for both residential and commercial customers. By contacting Lassiter Excavating, you can be sure that we are working in conjunction with only the best soil and helicals engineers to ensure your project comes out stable and secure for years to come.