There are Different Types of Home Foundations
Having a strong, properly built and well-maintained foundation is critical to the strength and durability of every structure. As Gordon B. Hinckley said pointedly, “You can’t build a great building on a weak foundation. You must have a solid foundation if you’re going to have a strong superstructure.” Without a good foundation, a house cannot last because the foundation carries the full weight of the building, provides a level base for constructing the walls and separates the wood framing from termites in the ground. To construct a reliable foundation that will last, contact Bay Area residential foundation drilling experts.
5 Different Types of Home Foundations
Considerations for the type of foundation to be used include the type of soil on which the structure will stand, the design, size and weight of the home and the frost depth for the area. These are the five types of foundations for a home and an expert Bay Area foundation drilling company can apply their skills to meet the needs of the home on its site:
- A slab foundation is simply a flat concrete pad that is poured onto the ground. A concrete beam is poured around the perimeter of the home at a depth of about two feet and the slab is about 6 inches in depth, including wire mesh and steel reinforcing bars embedded in the concrete. The slab typically rests on crushed gravel to improve drainage.
- Homes that feature basements typically start with a hole that is about 8 feet deep, topped with a concrete slab. This also requires the construction of beams and building walls, usually made with cinder blocks.
- Homes built with crawl space foundations are off the floor by about two feet. The foundation includes the use of cinder blocks and a brick facing.
- Pier and beam foundations utilize concrete piers or even wood posts drilled deep into the ground. The foundation itself does not rest directly on the ground but rather is elevated about 18 inches above the ground.
- Wood foundations use pressure-treated wood to form the foundation walls, set on top of a poured concrete floor.
Home Foundation Mistakes to Avoid
- Don’t attempt to do it yourself. A solid foundation is too critical to a home to allow amateur mistakes. Instead, call a Bay Area basement excavation and foundation company.
- A professional foundation company will make sure the pour and foundation construction are done in the right weather and dried with adequate drying time.
- A professional company will make sure the foundation is properly built and properly waterproofed.
Choose an Expert Bay Area Residential Foundation Drilling Company
Contact Lassiter Excavating, your Bay Area experts for pool removal, excavation, foundation and pier drilling since 1989. We provide exceptional service for both residential and commercial customers.