Strength in Foundation is Key
The value of a strong and stable foundation for every residential and commercial structure can’t be overstated. As David Allan Coe said, “It is not the beauty of a building you should look at; it’s the construction of the foundation that will stand the test of time.” Foundation problems may result in high repair and maintenance costs, possible dangerous conditions, increasing structural damage and collateral damage to surrounding structures or property. A great solution to achieve a strong foundation can be helical piles which your Bay Area foundation drilling company can install expertly.
Causes and Signs of Foundation Failure in Buildings
Foundation failure can come from:
- Movement of overly soft or saturated soils, expansive or highly plastic soils that will shrink or heave.
- Soils that have a high level of peat which deteriorates over time, and soils with a large percentage of sand and silt which have lower load bearing properties.
- Poor area drainage or excessive water conditions.
Signs of foundation problems include these:
- Cracks in the foundation, walls or floor.
- Gaps in interior walls, doors and windows, or closure issues for doors and windows.
- Foundation sinking, settling or upheaval.
- Buckling, uneven or sagging floors.
Quality pier drilling in the Bay Area can effectively address these issues.
What is a Helical and How Does it Work?
A helical pile is a steel tube or shaft with spiral steel plates welded to the shaft. It is installed deep into the soil by a drilling company, effectively anchoring the superstructure to more solid ground. The pile is screwed into the ground to create a new foundation, stabilize a foundation or undergird a weakening foundation.
Helicals are great solutions for these issues:
- Repairing old or failed foundations.
- New construction supporting beams, column bases and concrete slabs.
- Shoring up existing foundations when new weight loads are added.
- Increasing the stability of structures to account for wind and seismic loading.
- Foundation support in tight or difficult to access areas.
Advantages of Helical Piles
Helical piles or piers can be effectively used for numerous commercial or residential applications by your foundation drilling company including:
- Home or commercial construction in flood-prone areas
- Railroad construction
- Bridges and overpasses
- Installing utility poles and towers
- Building docks and piers
Drilling using helicals offers the following advantages versus many other traditional approaches:
- Cost savings
- Quicker and more efficient installation.
- Adaptability to different installation angles and limited access situations.
- A wide allowable load range.
- Drilling that involves minimal vibration and noise.
Choose an Experienced Bay Area Foundation Drilling Company
Contact Lassiter Excavating, your Bay Area experts for pool removal, excavation and pier drilling since 1989. We provide exceptional service for both residential and commercial customers.